Monday, March 12, 2007

Domestic pursuits

This morning I wrote letters and did school with the boys; both worthy and time consuming projects that occupied most of the morning.

This afternoon I cooked and baked. I started off with fruit salad, because we had a squishy cantaloupe and some grapes in the fridge that needed to be eaten. Then, at Jen's suggestion, we three older kids made two lime meringue pies for the first time ever. That took awhile, but they turned out nicely. I made the filling, Caleb beat and stirred, and Jenni just checked the meringue. After that, because I knew that since we are all going to be gone tomorrow, I made a cake mix for the bag lunches(Dad to work, us girls to the business, and Mom and the boys to the zoo) along with broccoli soup for tomorrow's dinner. I had to boil and puree the broccoli, then put it in the fridge to keep. Then I moved on to tonight's dinner, layered bean dip, making sure that there was enough for Mom to take tomorrow to the zoo. Us girls are having chicken sandwiches for lunch, and Dad will probably take dip too.

Whew! Sometimes my life seems to revolve around food, endlessly eating and preparing and cleaning up, but I really do enjoy cooking. Good thing, I guess, since I'm the cook. Behind every good man is a good cook, you know, and I have five good men in my life.

Other than that, the garbage has been emptied, the dishes are being done, an easter tree picked, our play practiced, and as soon as I get Caleb to set the table I'm going to go catch the news. Hopefully, I will be able to get back into the debate about the Constitution tomorrow. Jen has ballet tonight or I would get started on the good old "Pride and Prejudice" series we checked out from the library.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean... Lydia and Elijah are home on spring break, so I've been trying to cook more, and make them good, homemade food. However, cooking takes quite a bit of time! But, I enjoy it a lot. It's just finding time for it that can be hard...