Thursday, October 21, 2010

You too can Sew 1820's Trousers!


Or as the pattern calls them, "trowsers." My latest historical sewing adventure- the goal is to get them done after the Election but before Nov. 6th. None of the pants(trowsers) availible for loan at the Fort are anywhere near the boys's size. Caleb said the first time he got dressed up, he had to take his belt and loop it through the front flap on the pants to keep them up. So I figure they could really use thier own pants.


However, I vehemently refused to pay $20+ for a period-correct pattern. In my mind, pants are a very basic item of clothing and even as an middling seamstress you should not have to pay such an outrageous price for a basic pattern. But I couldn't find any online tutorials or guidlines for sewing these pants- it was driving me nuts. In the end, one of the commanding officers(a captain? who can say. I think his rank changes according to occasion) very kindly loaned me two never-before-used patterns.

Another delimma- in the case of this never-before-used pattern which doesn't belong to me, is it acceptable to cut out the size desired? What is proper pattern ettiquiette? It annoys me a bit when pattern companies make patterns in sizes 28 to 40, or whatever. If you want a size 28, buy it. If you want a size 40, buy it. But it's hardly possible to not cut out one or the other and easily interchange them. In the end, I went the selfish and easy way of cutting out the 28, which is just Caleb's size. Oh, the ease! Oh, the simplicity! No alterations needed. When I get these done, Caleb will have all his most basic garments: Shirt, Waistcoat, and Trowsers.

1 comment:

Anna Naomi said...

Neat to see your sewing projects continuing! You've sewn more than I have recently...

One thing that helps if you don't want to cut out patterns with multiple sizes is to either use chalk (but it's kind of hard drawing under the pattern pieces) or get "wax free tracing paper" and a tracing wheel (available at Walmart, and probably any fabric store). I don't like pinning pattern pieces to fabric, so long ago I started using chalk/tracing paper even if the patterns in the right size. Or, I just hold the pieces down with weights while I cut around them. :)