Saturday, March 12, 2011

Day's End

After Stirling Castle it was too late to see the Wallace Monument which is apparently an hour's walk from there, so I set out to see the Holy Rude churchyard and Cambuskenneth Abbey. The cemetery was pretty neat:

A Victorian monument to Scottish Covenanter Women.

A winged soul tombstone- they sure don't have these in Nebraska.

The Abbey was closed, which I expected, but it was also fenced and locked, which I didn't expect. I suppose I could have climbed the gate, but I was a bit tired at that point. So I took pictures from afar.

You can't tell, but it was raining. The Abby was beautiful and worth visiting, especially if you can come when it's open.

This is as close as I got to the Wallace monument. It's that speck in the distance.

So finally, tired and cold, I treated my self to a romantic dinner alone. It was one of those times I wish I was married. Thinking positively, though, if I was married I would probably not have been able to travel to Scotland.



So, all in all, I viewed the castle despite the invasion of the French; saw the Abbey albeit in the rain; and defiantly ate dinner. The train out of Stirling left at 8pm, and the W's very kindly picked me up in Inverness, so we all got home at 1am.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Please tell me that your dinner consisted of more than cheesecake and ice cream? ;) (And you really don't have to get married... next time just take me!)