Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Sewing Day

Last Saturday was Sewing day 2012 for dance group. Four girls out of ten are sewing their own costumes and I'm sewing the rest, so sewing day was meant to show the girls the ideal and then get them started on their own costumes. Four ladies dressed up for the mini-fashion show, and three of them wore stays. Last year the stays ratio was one to five, and this year it should be three to five. We're slowly improving. The stays are made with Butterick B4254 out of leftover pink linen.

I used plastic zip ties from Menard's for the boning.

I'd like to encourage some diversity between costumes, especially since everyone's using the same pattern. Here we have a Scottish lady modeling one of the rental bodices that I didn't have time to put eyelets in, with both a cheap cotton tartan and red linen petticoat.

The petticoats are pleated on to a simple band and tie around the waist. The bodice is made of brown linen and trimmed with the red. Of the 20 yards of white linen I bought, I have none left; of the 20 yards of brown I have four yards left.

Here is the test bodice. It turned out a little short, but fit well. The bodice is cotton and the gold petticoat is linen.

I wore my white quilted cotton petticoat and a new jacket.

No comments: