Monday, December 17, 2012

Back to Costuming

This dress is totally amazing. It's nice to know that it is possible to advance as a self-taught historical seamstress, even though I'm not a perfectionist and likely my outfits will never be that amazing.

First-ish snow: a dusting of white stuff.

It turns out that the Big Bad Wolf is actually terrified of Red Riding Hood. Who knew?

Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?

Right now I'm trying to find costume inspiration relating to the Edwardian era, since it looks like we'll be performing at the beautiful Arbor Lodge in NE City. It's difficult for me to pin down particular mainstay styles for the Edwardian era. It's sort of sandwiched between the fru-fru bustle era behind and the loose, low-waisted 1920's in front. When I'm working on costumes for Performance group I need to have one or two basic, popular everyday patterns from the era that I can use as a base, since I can't sew for all my group and they can't sew a whole outfits for themselves. The ladies are the issue; I have enough wool pants and vests for the men that I'm not going to worry about them. Looking at patterns online, I'm torn between the Sense and Sensibility Beatrix skirt pattern, and the Truly Victorian Trumpet skirt pattern. Or should I even consider buying, since it's essentially such a simple pattern, and instead just try to make my own?

No comments: