Thursday, March 21, 2013

Sewing Recently

For the past month we've had varying numbers of overnight guests almost every weekend. It's good training for running a hotel! I'm looking forward to a bit of quiet this coming weekend, when the situation will be reversed with most of the family away. I feel like my sewing has gotten behind; however, I somehow managed to finish:

Vests.

Five ladies' vests and two men's waistcoats that had been languishing in my pile. Some still needing buttons and hemming, but mostly done.

Waistcoat: can't you see the guys falling over themselves to fight over this wool and flannel warmer?

For the local Renaissance Faire in the spring.

 As far as paid orders, I finished a tailcoat ordered by a gentleman to wear to events. Thankfully it fit without needing any altering. I attribute this to the miracular, since even though I was working from good measurements I still miss getting the right fit without an in-person fitting. I have two other orders this month. A 1950s tea dress and a Victorian men's three piece suit. A satisfactory amount of work for the rest of March and beyond.

Hats: I finally got around to stitching on a hatband and stiffening the two black felt tophats I blocked last month. I still hope to improve, but I feel these two are a good start. And they're for sale! I'm not sure if I want to do hats long-term; I have enough to do with sewing, and to set-up to do hatmaking well is a fair investment. But my goal is to sell half of this batch of hats to cover the cost of expenses. Thus, I have tophats for sale. Wool felt with a plain ribbed band, ready to be trimmed or worn as-is. Someday, when I get motivated and the weather is good, I'll take pictures!

No comments: