Monday, April 1, 2013

Knit together

This is me. I'm not smiling because my brother, the giggly one, only took two pictures of me and they both happened to be of me, not smiling. Anyway, I managed to make this knit skirt over the weekend. It's a dark grey rayon blend fabric with pinstripes. I ordered it from Fabric.com. I like it that fabrics-store.com posts the actual weight of each fabric; fabric.com only posts general terms: "lightweight," "medium" or "heavy." This knit was a "heavy." Is this knit had been anything less than "heavy" it wouldn't have worked well for a skirt.

I had too much fun with the stripes. Besides the triangle top and pocket I added three crazy-quiltish patches at the hem. Knit certainly doesn't have that tailored look, but it's super comfortable and practical for everyday wear, and easy to sew. For the waistband I sewed a sturdy band of elastic to the knit with a zig-zag stitch, and then folded it under. I also used a zig-zag stitch to finish the hem.

I did order this knit from fabric.com (I was already ordering something else, anyway) and was satisfied overall; however, for knits specifically I'd like to try Girl Charlee someday. Like, someday very soon. This week, maybe. Eeek!

No comments: