Thursday, February 20, 2014

Downton Abbey in Maroon linen

It snowed pretty wildly this morning. We've gotten more snow in February than we did in December and January put together. We all stayed home except for Caleb, who doesn't mind driving in snow.

Today I made a linen skirt. I've said it before and I'll say it again, linen is just the best. I order often from fabrics-store.com, so I get the email deals and such. This month they had a deep maroon medium-weight linen go half-off for a day, and so I bought three yards with my saved store points. You don't often get linen for $4.50 a yard!

Lady Mary of Downton Abbey, Season two-ish, in a nice maroon skirt.

I used this basic Simplicity pattern and it turned out fine; I also added welt pockets and lining(pictures may eventually follow). I prefer fitted-waist flared-skirt patterns- Very Downton Abbey and much more flattering than gathered waists. I love the every-day dress in Downton Abbey. I've never been a fancy dress sort of person; I much prefer plain and simple.

Mary in another maroon skirt. I traveled by train a fair amount in Scotland and a bit in Russia, and can I say it's not so romantic as this picture makes you believe. The train stations in Scotland did seem to be painted either green or purple, though, like in this picture.

Mary in another really nice looking skirt. Though if we were all tall and skinny like this we'd look good whatever we wore.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

There is a fashion school at the University where Garry works, and sometimes they have fabric sales where everything is 1$ a yard. You have to buy what ever is left of the bolt though and they will only cut it if it is more than 10 yards. Any way, I buy lots of stuff, then I am afraid to do anything with it! I have about 7 yards of a lovely light purple 100% lenin that I cant decide what to do with. I think I want to make a jacket, but I am afraid it will look so plain (the pattern I have looks pretty plain.) Oh, well just rambling!

The Marchioness said...

Well, I like plain, but you can always decorate plain with special buttons, embroidery, or trim!