Thursday, May 31, 2007

The Adams family

I have been reading a book of selected letters of John and Abagail Adams that were written from 1762-1784. Because of his duties, John Adams was away from home for very long amounts of time. These letters are written in the good kind of romantic way, with Mr. and Mrs. Adams calling each other "my dearest best friend" etc. I really have enjoyed it, but as I am so rushed I only have time to post this quote from a certain letter:

"This wandering, intinerating life grows more and more disagreeable to me. I want to see my wife and children every day, I want to see my grass and blossoms and corn every day. I want to see my workmen, nay, I almost want to go and see the boss calves as often as Charles does. But above all except the wife and children, I want to see my books."
John Adams to his wife Abagail in 1772

No comments: