Friday, June 29, 2007

It's not over until the fat lady sings

I looked up the meaning and history behind the saying "It's not over until the fat lady sings" and I couldn't find too much to clarify the story. As far as I could figure, it was meant to be a sort of threat, meaning it's not over yet and we still have a chance, it's not over until it's over, etc. I didn't want to post it if it's meaning was meant to be rude and insulting, but the only thing I found rude about it and in it's history is that you shouldn't call people fat and doing that in this sentence is a prejudice against Opera singers. I haven't heard much opera, certainly not live opera, and of what I've heard I mostly don't like except for what I've heard of "Carmen". But that is a whole different subject from what I am going to talk about in this post. Here's an interesting article about opera.

This post could also be titled "Hog update number three".

Mr. ------ apparently re-applied for his building permit immediately after the meeting. We knew there was a strong possibility he would fight the decision made last Wednesday. We found out the day after the meeting that he had re-applied by reading the Omaha World Herald. We have not been contacted by any officials as far as another meeting, and we don't know what will happen next. So this is still hanging over our heads, with an uncertain future decision. That can be so depressing. I was so hoping that Mr. ------ would consider how many people live in the immediate area, and our position on the proposed CAFO, and decide to just farm the land instead. But men are naturally sinful and want their way, and Mr. ------ wants no less!

So, it's not over until the fat lady sings.

No comments: