Thursday, January 17, 2013

Updated Settings

I now have a standing table for cutting fabric. Since we moved in I've been using an old warped cardboard folding table; now, finally, I have a table made of two old bookshelves and a desktop from Dad's college days. I also added Grandma's old coffee maker, a wall mirror, and my very own box of tissues(hey, it's cold up here). Things are looking up. All I need now is a swivel chair.

Updated Settings: The kind I like. More storage space, bigger table, better back posture. And Bolthouse(Have I mentioned? I'm a fan).

Recent sewing: 
I used a Simplicity vest pattern to make a small jacket. It worked out well, except ended up being too small for me. I stole the button-belt idea from Lavinia's pink wool coat on Downton Abbey. The corduroy was from Grandma, and the lining was from a garage sale.

Yes, it still needs to be hemmed. This jacket is for sale. Blue cotton corduroy lined with white cotton with blue floral pattern. Girls' size 10.

I also made a Regency dress with a drop-front for the first time. I'll definitely be making more of these. Have you ever tried buttoning yourself up the back? It's so much more practical to wear drop-front. There are some great drop-front tutorials online that make it very easy. Most girls I know have a Regency gown, but not one of them has a drop-front. Therefore, I surmise that drop-front gowns are the best kept secret of Regency costuming.

I made up a draft of the Truly Victorian Trumpet skirt in maroon poly/linen; this pattern goes together very easily. It's a simple pattern and yet flattering, and great for dancing. Overall, I think this is a good beginner costume pattern for my dance ladies to sink their teeth into. I went on to make my own skirt in a perfect tan worsted wool. For the placket I ended up buying ten yards of hook-and-eye tape through Etsy; it seems to be rather hard to find tape for a reasonable price. I remember several years ago the local Hancock's stopped carrying it, so I don't believe there's anywhere local to buy hook-and-eye tape.

No comments: