Monday, August 4, 2014

Quilting through People


The Fan Quilt: A baby-sized Wholecloth Quilt


The upstairs rooms now have sheetrock walls, just in time for guests this weekend and again next weekend. We hosted a Pastor and his family from Ohio. A very lovely family with eight children, and all of them very loud, except for the fat adorable baby who didn't want to be held. Goodness, I could never marry an Italian/Greek/loud person. Living History was also this weekend, so I am totally and completely peopled out.

Remnants of cotton muslin and blue linen/cotton

I've been working to finish small sewing projects this week, mostly alterations that tend to get put aside. I did make two hoodies and finally started sewing a new Regency dress for myself. That's been on the to-do list for a long time, and you can be sure I'll post about that soon. On the job front, I had three applications turned down last week and one call back about an interview.



I'm on the homestretch for my little fan quilt, and that means I'm quilting obsessively right now. I really need to learn to use a thimble, because my fingers are constantly getting painful holes and rough callouses on the tips. But I do love hand quilting and can't imagine doing it any other way. People are always amazed that I would spend hours and hours making even a small quilt by hand- but that's what makes it look so neat! Every stitch was done individually by a real person, and it gives a character and look to the piece that machine quilts just don't have. Plus, it fits into my historical era, and I can take it with me wherever I go.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

The quilt is so beautiful! I love the alternating blue.