Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Ups and Downs, but mostly Downs

I received a written reprimand at work this past week for not pushing company promo products. The Critical Manager took me in the back, chewed me up and spit me out. It was all a little weird for me because I am not the sort of person who gets in trouble. And I want to do well at my job; I enjoy working with people to help them find what they need. I am a reliable and honest employee. But all of this counts for nothing if I don't sell a bottle of Grandma's Spot Remover during every one of my shifts. It seems to be such a skewed approach to building business; it just doesn't make sense to me.

That was annoying, and frustrating, and great motivation to keep working on my plans to find a better job.

Meanwhile, at the other job, things are going ok, mostly because I work alone, and I get to mostly construct the costumes how I think best(it's hard to have trouble with that!). I did run into one unpleasant moment this week. Other employees use the computer at the costume shop for personal things, like facebook or worse, and sometimes even let other people who work in the mall(like the Asian guy who sells cell phone cases) use the work computer, too. It blows my mind how unprofessional it all is. There's lots of free time for the unmotivated minimum-wage employee during the costuming off-season, and the Energetic/Manipulative Manager isn't really tech savvy enough to monitor how the computer is used. Anyway, when I walked by to clock out one evening someone had left a shady, gay craigslist-like ad on the computer screen.

And then to top things off, I got sick at work the other night; but thankfully I don't think my Manager noticed.

But helping to put the annoyances of my life into perspective, last week we heard about a sudden and serious illness in a friend's family. And that put my work problems in place; it's still just a job. It's not life-threatening.

No comments: