Thursday, February 28, 2019

Groceries

We girls don't get out much so little things like getting groceries is a big deal these days! Usually I do my weekly shopping in two different stores for the choices of meat and produce I use. If John isn't free and I have to take the girls with me, it's like shopping as Christian in Pilgrims' Progress, before he loses his burden... maybe something like being a pack mule? It's just hard to go shopping with a baby and a toddler.

When John's schedule does accommodate, I feed the baby and then rush frantically off to buy everything needed for a week of eating.

Today I did the feed and rush. However, a tiny sprinkling of ice caused terrible traffic, delayed school, and one traffic light out that I saw. It was ridiculous- the roads were fine. But I sat in traffic for way too long to get to the store. It made me think, at least when we move the winter traffic will be bad for a reason!

Store number one. Ran around frantically grabbing things off the shelf. Cursed the cost of diapers. Bought something that could pass as a birthday present for John. Store number two. Slightly more relaxed. Resisted the temptation of popcorn, protein bars, and chocolate. Aimed to use my $5 off of $30 coupon. The fellow in front of me in line was one of those old guy types who likes to joke it up with everyone, so we chatted about cilantro and vegans. Then he offered to pay for my groceries, up to $25. I had my coupon, but my order came to $29.60! I had to spend .40 more. So I paid for the tomato of the lady behind me, used the coupon, the gentleman paid for $25, and I had $1.05 left to pay. It was amusing, and, considering the price of diapers, really nice.

No comments: