Wednesday, August 8, 2007

I'm still here

My trip to Ft. Bragg is rapidly approaching. I am getting nervous about leaving my family; I know I will really miss them all. Here's a happy thought for you: to make my airplane flight, I will have to leave home at 3:30 in the morning.

We are having twenty-six people over for lunch this weekend. Most of them are University students from Europe who are in the U.S. for five weeks, studying English and having fun sightseeing. It should be interesting to talk with people from so many different countries, such as England, France, the Netherlands, etc. Many of these students parents immigrated to Europe from muslim countries such as Morocco, and even Iran. Muslims want to benefit from western technology and opportunities that they can't have in their own oppressed lands. The students in the group that are muslims are not strict muslims, and the only religious rule that they seem to follow is the one about not eating pork. We aren't too fond of pork ourselves, just now. The last group of muslims we had over for lunch were also very worldly, but they were very touchy about "discrimination" and "prejudice", towards a religion that they hardly understand. Anyway, it will be interesting.

You will never guess what we girls saw last night: a praying mantis. It was big, about as long as my hand, and it looked mean. All I remember about praying mantis's from elementary grade science is that the females eat their husbands. And I've never seen a praying mantis in Nebraska before. We were out late last night because we went to Iowa to hear Presidential Candidate Ron Paul speak. I've posted a little about him before, and if I have time before I leave I'll post my thoughts about his speech. It seems like every sentence I say nowadays ends with the words "before I leave". Scary!

No comments: