Thursday, June 6, 2019

The Plans

We've been here less than two weeks and things are finally unpacked just enough to think about decorating projects. Here's the short list of the big things:

Up and down stencils
Stenciled wall borders. I've been reading a bit about stenciled walls in colonial New England, and it's really interesting: traveling artists would take their stencils from house to house and decorate the walls, since wallpaper was yet to be available. It really struck a chord with me, after living in a drab off-white apartment for three years- and I've always loved painting things around me. This site was particularly interesting. Anyway, while most of the reproduced stencils were too busy for my space, I found some that I felt went well and started going at it.

Across stencils

 Painted lampshades. Another something that appealed to me. I've been watching home decor shows ever since we started getting ready to move, and this clip mentions painted lampshades. The lady's house is waaaay to busy for me, but just the deep colors seemed so warm.

This is my first try. I think it's hideous.

Kitchen shelves and cabinet knobs-an obvious, immediate need.

The knobs need an adjustment but I like the handles

 A backsplash- another practical need. But I'm determined to make it pretty.

Wood for the backsplash waiting to be painted and sealed.

Also on the list, curtains, quilt display, a garden space, an attractive patio with hammocks for the girls, and a sewing space. New chair covers, organize the bookshelves, make a lace teepee for the girls' room. How long with all that take me?????

No comments: